Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What do old people do all day

-lisa-

What do old people do all day? This question came up when I was walking to work the other day. You see I live in a little town house complex where most of the occupants are retired. This one lady was busy with washing and another and her husband was busy with the dishes. This made me wonder…

…after the washing is done and the plates are all packed away, what do old people do for the rest of the day?

I live with my parents. Mom still works and dad is on pension, wel, he was on pension. In the 13 years since he’s gone on pension he has retired about 4 times. How is this possible? You ask. Well after a few months of being retired he finds something new to do. In his 13 years of retirement he’s had a bike repair shop, farmed with chickens, exotic ducks and had parrots, hamsters and a sheep. He’s worked at the church, at a paint shop, of which he had this to say, its worse then watching paint dry… at the moment his working at a TV and satellite installation shop. Well, they don’t install satellites, they install satellite dishes… you’re probably thinking, what does a 65 year old man, born before the last world war know about TVs and satellite dishes, satellites for that matter to? Well you’d be surprised, a bit more then his 30 year old daughter born after the invention of the wheel…

…but that’s just my dad, if he sits still for too long the cat uses him for a scratching pole so like Mick Jagger, my daddy’s a Rolling Stone, and we all know rolling stones don’t gather moss…

… but back to the other scratching poles around here, what do they do all day? I asked around, and the verdict is in, read, knitting, playing field bowels, sleeping, and my dad’ favourite, sitting around thinking of ways to p!$$ the man off at the TV shop aka my dad…

1 comment:

  1. Very well said. Give me another 6 years and I will tell you what old people do... I guess I might be blogging.

    ReplyDelete