Sunday, May 3, 2009

can you do the can-can

jozey

A couple of years back I worked at a security company for a while. Every four days we’d have shift change and I’ go from working day shift to night shift. I’d get home at 7 in the morning and put the Moulin Rouge DVD on, my squeeza lent me. Unfortunately before Nicole Kidman could finish Diamonds Are A Girl’s Best Friend, I’d be out cold… the chef ended up watching it ten thousand times though.

So as with everything else I find an interest in, I went to do some research about the Moulin Rouge, the Diamond dogs and there Can-Can… then it all came back to me. When I was 9 our school had a circus. Actually, every year we’d have a school play but once every 7 years we’d have a circus. So when I was 9 our class was the can-can dancers. Now I’d like to know who in there right mind would let a bunch of 9 year old girls dress up as the Diamond Dogs and do the can-can… I came across this peace and I was shocked…

top row second girl

…The main feature of an evening at the Moulin Rouge is the performance. It is famous internationally as the 'spiritual home' of the traditional French can-can, which is still performed there today. The can-can had existed for many years as a respectable, working-class party dance, but it was in the early days of the Moulin Rouge that courtesans first adapted the dance to entertain the male clientele. It was usually performed individually, with the courtesan moving in an increasingly energetic and provocative way in an attempt to seduce a potential client. It was very common for them to lift their skirts and reveal their legs, underwear and occasionally the genitals. As time progressed the can-cans seen at the Moulin Rouge became more and more vulgar and overtly erotic, causing much public outrage…


Me thinks my teachers have some explaining to do…. Funny how things happen. When I was 9 I was a can-can dancer and one of my all time favorites movies are the Moulin Rouge. I’m appalled!!! Viva la revolution!

1 comment:

  1. If my memory serves me correctly, I was around at the time and involved in the making of this particular costume. I still remember the sound of the crepe paper lining the skirts, when you all ran out into the ring. It was a very good show.. eh..circus.

    ReplyDelete