Saturday, May 23, 2009

friends for ever

I was a shy girl growing up and only had a few good friends, but they were the very best. One of my favourite stories is how I met my best guy friend.

The first day of school the big buzz was about the really b!^*y new girl and her very hunky older brother with the long side burns. All the girls were going on about them. I didn’t have a clue. Everyone had laid eyes on them but me. Didn’t really bother me ether.

I was late for my very first history class and as I was making my way across the quad there he was. At first I didn’t know he was calling after me but I soon realized there was no one else around. I stopped to hear what he wanted. He was lost and looking for the history class. Seeing that I was on my way there I offered to show him the way. When we entered the class room together half the girls jaws dropped.. My friend was so kind to have saved me a seat in the back and the only other available one was the one next to mine. I soon found out that this new guy was THE guy everyone was going on about. We ended up having all our classes together.

And so that was the start of our friendship. We use to pass notes to each other and in biology we were separated after the first month. The teacher made the mistake to put us next to or other friends and soon after we were moved back together. We got on like a house on fire and we became great friends, some people even thought we were dating… what a crazy idea…

…or was it? As with most 17 year olds I found myself having a little crush on him after a while, but what was I to do, I wasn’t going to say something and maybe wreck the friendship, I’d rather not know at all.

Then during our final exams we got into an argument and before we could make up the year was over and he was shipped off to another school never to be seen again. I really missed him for a very long time and till today every time I hear Love Bits I think of him.

Last year out of the blue I got a friend request on Facebook. The one person I thought had disappeared for ever marched back into my life as quickly as he’d marched out. I couldn’t believe he actually found me. Our friendship is growing again and sometimes i have to remind myself I'm not 17 anymore...

So now before you go aw yeah, I must tell you, his happily married to a very nice girl and doing very well for himself. That nagging old Alanis song comes to mind…

No comments:

Post a Comment