Tuesday, April 14, 2009

growing old disgracefully

-cas-

I have decided, if I’m going down I’ll be doing it kicking and screaming. Not without a fight. And I’m taking down who ever I can with me…

What am I talking about? Growing old. Gracefully, I think not. Some how I let slip my teens, early twenties, mid twenties and late twenties. So I’ve decided, I am going to throw myself to the floor and put up the biggest tantrum you have ever seen. There was so much I’ve wanted to do by the time I turned 30, and somehow most of it I didn’t.

I’m not even talking about the whole married with children stuff; I’ve only left the country once, to visit Mozambique for two weeks. I still live at home, don’t own my own car and earn peanuts. I have no social life and I find myself rather wanting to watch Friday night movies on satellite then go out. And most of the time I’m content with it. Week nights I’m in bed by ten… alone… and I just purchased my first pair of reading glasses. Luckily grey hasn’t set in yet, but a few years back I found my first rankle, but since, it’s gone missing.

So roll on the tantrum. I only have one tattoo, even though I worked in the music industry for about 5 years I still haven’t slept with a drummer, let alone do anything else. Sorry Momzy.

What I did do in the past decade though is, did a gap year and did missionary work, moved to Sun City, the equivalent of Las Vegas, lived with a bunch of lifeguards for six months. Became a groupie, worked in a music shop, moved back home, moved out and had one wild summer, moved back home, moved to the big city, became a waitress, met a bunch of interesting people, got introduced to the clubbing scene, drank a lot, became a stripper…groupie, my friends and I would go to a strip show every Thursday night… tried some kind of mood enhancing drug, one night only, nothing happened, didn’t think the quarter of the quarter they gave me was potent enough. Decided I hate dance music. Got a job at another music shop, got to meet a bunch of famous muso’s, became a groupie. Became friends with a local band and now they’re one of the biggest in SA. Became a bandaid, the difference between a bandaid and a groupie is, a groupie is in it for the members and perks, a bandaid is in it for the music. Ditched work to go to a music festival, got a tattoo, moved back home, became a nursery school teacher, managed a restaurant, did the events for the restaurant. Worked at a security company, hated every minute of it, and now I make food for a living, hadn’t had a drink in 4 months and am a youth leader at my church, now I organize events for the youth. I have my level two in first aid, have a youth workers diploma. I’m busy studying events management and doing a pastoral course at the church.

I guess my twenties wasn’t that boring, just wish I accomplished more, like being financially independent, having my own business earning 100k a year, have my own car, a handsome husband, double story house with pool and spa, two wonderful kids and hidi Klum’s body…

So what can be expected of the 30’s?

2 comments: